Saturday, July 16, 2011

Please read this - it's depressing - but it's for your own good

It's been three years since we left our jobs in the oil and gas industry and embarked on this seemingly random and unexpected journey into the greater world beyond. It's been three years, and I still can't decide what I want to be when I grow up. That can be pretty depressing.

However, in the big picture, I am still confident that we made the right decision. I still don't know what my role is, but I know in my bones that things are going to have to change. Our precious economy teters on the brink of oblivion - and more importantly, the degradation of our natural world is accellerating unchecked.

To put all of this in perspective, take the time to read this article. As stated by Derrick Jensen, "If your experience is that your food comes from the grocery store and your water comes from the tap, then you are going to defend to the death the system that brings those to you because your life depends on them. If your experience, however, is that your food comes from a land base and that your water comes from a stream, well, then you will defend to the death that land base and that stream."

Reading this article could save your life - and certainly the lives of your children.

No comments: